How long does it take for Google to crawl my site?If there is one question I can’t give a definitive answer to on SEO related matters it’s the how long question. How long….
- will it take for Google to index my site?
- before I’m on the first page?
- before I see results?
Getting the basics right for Google to index your site.All the fancy SEO strategies in the world won’t help unless you have a site in good working order that is visible and readable for search engines
- Check Server responses use a tool like this server response header Pages should return 200/OK responses.
- Have actual readable “content” Images look great and pretty webs ites look cool but a search bot can’t see or read an image.
- Use “normal” links – keep it simple a normal link is <a href=”some_URL” title=”optional”> Something here </a>. Using event based functions (no href value, instead using on.click or using select list elements with on.click functions etc.) can cause the bots to not follow.
- Submit the site to Google use this URL Submittal tool http://www.google.com/addurl/?
- Build authority and relevance. by trying to get a few quality links from sites that deal with related topics
- Sign up for a Google Webmaster Tools account. and get your site verified. This guarantees nothing, but it can help you to discovering and locate problems if they exist.
Present your site in the best possible light for getting your site indexed by Google by doing…
- Keyword analysis – find what relevant search terms are highly searched
- Competitor analysis – review how much and what quality opposition there is
- Optimise your site on page for SEO commensurate with the research you’ve done.
- Create quality, relevant and fresh content for your site
- Follow a long term strategy to organically build your site’s relevance and authority via backlinks and social media
- Concentrate on building value by providing quality outbound links and on site links.
The Keys To Ranking WellIts worth restating -the keys to ranking well are
- Define your market and your place in it and create related content.
- Research of related keywords.
- Research of competition already in the marketplace.
- Developing good social media channels and engaging with your audience.
- Posting outbound links to quality related content.
- Establishing credibility by attracting inbound links from quality websites.
Thank you for reading. If you enjoyed this please share, like or comment as appropriate
You can support my work by purchasing my book Postcards From Hell.